Monday 12 November 2012

DIY: Jewelry Cleaner (for silver/white gold jewelry) -

DIY Jewelry Cleaner for Silver, Sterling Silver & White Gold Jewelry

Make your old jewelry look brand new again!









Good Afternoon ladies! 

Today I am going to mix things up a bit and post a DIY for you all.

Do you have old silver jewelry that has become dull looking over time that you want to wear again? Or silver jewelry that you wear often that has lost it's dazzle and shine? 

Since I was cleaning my husband and I's silver, I thought I should show you the secret to making any sterling silver, silver or white gold piece look brand new in 6 easy steps - using items you can find in your own home! 

This method works great, it's inexpensive and it's a more natural way to clean your jewelry.




 ITEMS YOU WILL NEED



  1. Aluminum pan or (item of your choice) to clean your items in.
  2. Aluminum Foil
  3. Baking Soda
  4. Salt
  5. Dish Soap of any kind
  6. Something to stir with
  7. Old toothbrush (or something else to scrub with)
  8. Boiling hot water




STEP 1

Place your aluminum foil in the pan or dish you chose to clean your jewelry in.


 Ensure the foil is placed shiny side up for best results.




STEP 2

Place your jewelry in pan/dish.





 STEP 3

Completely cover the jewelry in baking soda, add salt (just sprinkle a whole bunch over the baking soda) and then drizzle some dish soap on top.





STEP 4

Pour in boiling hot water ensuring it covers everything well. Let stand for 1 minute. It will make a bubble mixture like this:





STEP 5

Take your stirring tool and carefully move all the jewelry around in the mixture. It may have a funky smell when you do this, but it's worth it to get the end result.






STEP 6

Let your jewelry sit in the mixture for two more minutes. Once the two minutes are up, take your toothbrush and gently scrub your jewelry in clean warm water, dry your items and that's all there is to it!

You won't believe how shiny and new your jewelry will look after doing this DIY!




BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS

I am now going to show you some before and after photos. As I am not quite a pro in the photography department yet, I am not sure if you will be able to see the difference in the pictures but trust me this really does work!!







BEFORE










AFTER

 









I hope some of you try this yourselves at home and that it inspires you to make some of your old/dull jewelry look as good as new! 

I prefer to clean mine this way, because it doesn't use any harsh chemicals - which is better for your jewelry, your skin and the environment!

Please let me know if you do this and how it worked for you, I would love to know.

Comment below also if you would like to see more DIY posts from me. I had a great time doing this one and would be happy to do more, so send your suggestions my way!


Enjoy the rest of your Monday everyone!

Peace and Love till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment